Additional Phase 2 Restaurants Coming to Wharf
The District Wharf subtly “announced” several new restaurants coming to SW DC as part of the developer’s Phase 2 project. Wharf branded signs recently appeared around the property declaring “Opening Soon at The Wharf” listing 15 properties coming to the Wharf, five of which had not been previously announced.
The five new additions coming to the District Wharf are Blank Street Coffee, Kinfolk, Limani, Slice of Matchbox, and Milk & Honey Cafe.
The Wharf announced in January via press release the addition of Bartaco, Georgetown Opticians, Gordon Ramsay Hell’s Kitchen, Gordon Ramsay Fish & Chips, Kilwins Chocolates and Ice Cream, Lucky Buns, Mason’s Lobster Rolls, Philippe Chow, Scissors & Scotch, and the Goddard School.
Five of the new restaurants coming to Phase 2 are local DC area businesses, including Matchbox, Milk & Honey, Bartaco, Lucky Buns, and Kinfolk. Although unannounced by the Wharf management, a Starbucks is also under development and will be located at 7th Street & Maine Ave.
The Phase 2 restaurants provide a mix of fast casual to upscale eateries ensuring that visitors and residents can have their fill of just about anything from sloppy burgers, tacos, pizzas, ice cream and fudge, to Peking duck, and beef Wellington.
Here’s a rundown of what to expect with the Phase 2 restaurants announced so far:
- Bartaco – Arlington, Va based company serving tacos, rice bowls and margaritas. Bartaco operates in 12 states plus DC. The Wharf location will be 645 Wharf Street near Pendry and The Tides apartment building.
- Blank Street Coffee – this Brooklyn based coffee shop serves coffee hot, iced, and seasonal in addition to baked goods and breakfast tacos.
- Gordon Ramsay Hell’s Kitchen – the celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay, expands his Las Vegas based signature restaurant to WB2 at 652 Wharf Street this year. The menu includes seared foie gras, heirloom tomato burrata salad, to beef Wellington.
- Gordon Ramsay Fish & Chips – Gordon Ramsay expands his Las Vegas based “chipper” to DC and will be located at 665 Water Street at the base of the second mirrored glass building.
- Kilwins Chocolates & Ice Cream – will be providing hot and cold confections at the Wharf. Kilwins, based in Michigan is a national chain with two locations in DC and one in Alexandria. Kilwins Wharf will be located at 663 Water Street in the breezeway near Riley Street.
- Kinfolk – there’s been some mystery about this one and we can report the name of the restaurant is going to be updated in the near future. Whatever it’s called, the restaurant will specialize in southern cuisine offering biscuits/gravy, chicken & waffles, and barbecue. The location will be owned and operated by the owners of LaVie and Nara-ya.
- Limani – a Mediterranean seafood restaurant that will focus on Greek cuisine is slated to go into WB1. The limited chain is based in NYC and has an outpost in Roslyn, Va. The menu is focused on seafood and includes shellfish, whole fish, and traditional non-seafood options.
- Lucky Buns – local DC sloppy burger joint with daily cocktail specials. The company uses hand formed burgers from Creekstone Beef, makes their pickles, sauces, and spreads in house, and gets fresh baked buns from DC bakery Pop’s Buns. It will be located at 675 Wharf Street.
- Mason’s Famous Lobster Rolls – this Annapolis based fast casual restaurant will be located at 681 Water Street near the “oculus.” As the name suggests, Mason’s will serve several variations of lobster rolls.
- Slice of Matchbox – this DC area institution is coming to the Wharf with its brick oven pizzas menu. Matchbox offers 10” and 14” pizzas including a spicy fire & smoke, chicken pesto, and fig & prosciutto. Matchbox will likely be located on Maine Ave.
- Milk & Honey Cafe – this sister company to Matchbox (both owned by Thompson Hospitality Corp.) serves New Orleans themed Southern brunch all day. The menu features shrimp and grits, sweet potato waffle with pecan caramel, deep fried salmon hash, and cocktails. This location is expected to be located on Maine Ave.
- Philippe by Philippe Chow – this high-end Chinese restaurant will be located on the ground floor of Amaris (635 Wharf Street). The Wharf location represents Philippe’s first expansion out of NYC. The menu includes traditional Chinese fare served family style.